I received Joanna’s Penn’s email recently. She is such an inspiration. In the email is a video by Joel Friedlander, where he interviewed Joanna. She highlights 7 steps to successful self-publishing. I find it to be very helpful.
Summary to Joanna Penn’s 7 steps to successful self-publishing:
- Define your success – what does success mean to you, your goal will determine your action.
- Set writing process – schedule time to write, use timed writing, set word count goals, and set deadlines.
- Understand your target market – think about who they are, keep a list of books that are similar to yours, refer to the book covers, what readers expect in the genre. You may not fully understand them now, but eventually you will.
- Write books that people want – write what you love AND what sells. Do a Amazon keyword search in both your country and others. Must use meta data, and put your book in the proper categories. Make sure you have a killer back blurb and sales page – can model after successful books, and use keywords. What to include – For fiction – use hyperbole and hook. For non-fiction – include table of content. Tip: model other books by copying out how other authors write their blurbs/sales page.
- Write in series, and use free as marketing tool (take advantage of the binge consumption culture)
- Think multiple streams of income – global, multiple platforms (ebooks, prints, audio)
And then she ends it with: What will you do in the next 90 days?
I learned so much from this video. Joanna gives so many tips and tricks.
For me, my aim is to get my colouring trip planner close to finish by the end of March. That means I will need to finish all the illustrations, and put the book together. I still have a lot to learn, and I have a lot of questions in regards to whether I should start my own publishing business or not. It definitely feels very overwhelming from time to time. It’s weird how just the thought of it can feel like a big beast is looming over me. But I can only do one little bit at a time, and that’s what I will do. I will keep at it one day at a time!
I hope that you find inspiration in this video too! What would be your goals for the next 90 days?